Summer is here and it’s great to be outdoors. Here in New Jersey many of our backyards are on the small side. Century 21 has some great tips to make your outdoor space feel much larger and turn it into a place where you and your family want to spend time. From BBQs and family dinners to gardening and playing hide-and-go seek, you’ll love living large in your “bigger” backyard.
1. Decrease clutter: Decreasing clutter will make your backyard feel larger. One way to decrease clutter is to purchase pieces that serve multiple purposes. Keep toys, gardening tools, and more in a shed or in the garage instead of outside.
2. Evaluate what you need: Think about how you want to use your backyard, and only buy what you will use. Don’t put something in your backyard because you feel like you should. If you know you won’t be entertaining outdoors, don’t buy a large table.
3. Add elevation: Create levels in your yard to give the illusion of a larger space. Add a few steps or platforms to create different sections. Go the extra mile and change the flooring on the different sections to create visual separation.
4. Create a focal point: Even the smallest of spaces needs a focal point. Whether it’s a sculpture, fire pit, or table, creating a focal point will bring the entire landscape together. Choose your focal point early in the design process so that you can decorate the rest of the yard around it.
5. Delight in the details: While it is best to keep small areas minimally cluttered, you can still have fun with the details! Add accessories like a chic lantern, outdoor lighting, and painted terra cotta flower pots.
Follow these tips to turn your small backyard into a place where you and your family want to relax, play, and entertain.