The winter holidays are here and you might be wondering if it is worth the trouble to put your house on the market or to keep your house on the market during this busy time of year. There are both pros and cons to selling now and here are a few to think about.
Let’s start with the pros:
- Buyers who are looking now are serious buyers. Most people are very busy this month and you will not have as many people just looking. You will have fewer showings which means fewer disruptions for you.
- There is less inventory on the market. Buyers will have fewer homes to choose from which means your home will have more of a spotlight.
- Your home decked out with a few tasteful holiday decorations is looking it’s best. As you are decorating, keep in mind the goal is to help buyers envision their families living there. Remember please to store everything as soon as the holidays are over!
Now on to the cons:
- It’s difficult during the holidays to have your home always ready for a home showing.
- One of the first things you were told to do when you decided to put your house on the market was to minimize clutter so a buyer could see themselves living there. Your holiday decorations, including all of those crafts your children made long ago, have a great sentimental meaning to you but buyers might see them as clutter and not be able to focus on your great house. How do you feel about not displaying all your holiday items?
- Buyers might think you are desperate to sell your home which might bring some very low offers.
- The holidays are a time to relax and spend time with family and friends. Do you really want to worry about showing your house?
I hope I have given you some ideas to think about before you put your house on the market at this time of year. Remember the decision to sell is entirely up to you. If you would like to discuss your home selling or buying needs please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or give me a call. I would be happy to help.